Scholarship opportunity for Virginia criminal justice students
The Virginia Sheriffs’ Scholarship program was established to provide an opportunity for young people across Virginia to pursue an education in criminal justice. Accordingly, the Board of Directors has established the application process for students to receive scholarships to assist in their educational endeavors. The scholarships are available only to students in jurisdictions where sheriffs participated in scholarship fundraising efforts. This program is limited to students attending Virginia colleges and universities.
2015 Scholarship Program Policies
- Eligibility: students must live in a locality where the sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute and has authorized the Institute to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program.
- Applications will be mailed from the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute office to the sheriffs’ offices by January 31, 2015. Applications can also be found on the VSI website.
- Applications must be received in the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute office by May 1, 2015. Postmarks will not be accepted; however, faxes will be. The deadline will be adhered to.
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students accepted to Virginia colleges and universities will be considered.
- Applications must be complete, or the student will not be considered.
- Checks will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2015.
- Checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.
- Letter of Recommendation from Local Sheriff?
- Application Complete?
- Majoring in Criminal Justice Field (Not Law)?
- Attending Virginia College or University?
- Application Received in the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute’s Office by May 1, 2015?
- Essay Attached?
- High School Transcripts attached for incoming freshman applicants only?
- College Transcripts attached for currently enrolled college students?
- Proof of Acceptance from College or University Attached?
- S.A.T. Scores Attached for incoming freshman applicants only?