Scholarship opportunity for Virginia criminal justice students
The Virginia Sheriffs’ Scholarship program was established to provide an opportunity for young people across Virginia to pursue an education in criminal justice. Accordingly, the Board of Directors has established the application process for students to receive scholarships to assist in their educational endeavors. The scholarships are available only to students in jurisdictions where sheriffs participated in scholarship fundraising efforts. This program is limited to students attending Virginia colleges and universities.
Beginning this year, we will only accept online applications. To access the online 2018 Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute scholarship application, please click HERE.
2018-19 Scholarship Program Policies
A. Students must be a permanent resident in a Virginia county or city where their sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI) and has authorized the VSI to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program.
B. Students, 18 and older, must be registered Virginia voters and provide a copy of their voter registration card. Students under the age of 18 are required to provide a copy of a picture ID with their home address, providing proof of residency.
- Applications will be available on the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute website by January 31, 2018.
- Applications must be submitted online with all required information by May 1, 2018. The deadline will be adhered to.
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students attending Virginia colleges or universities will be considered.
- Applications must be completed online and electronically signed, or the student will not be considered.
- Certificates of award will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2018.
- After verification by the students of chosen college/major, checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application. College or university student IDs will be required to issue a scholarship check.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.
- Letter of Recommendation from resident Virginia Sheriff?
- Application Completed Online and Electronically Signed?
- Majoring in Criminal Justice Field (Not pre-law/law)?
- Attending a Virginia College or University?
- Application and all Required Documents and Information Required Submitted Online by May 1, 2018?
- Essay Included?
- High School Transcripts submitted (for incoming freshman applicants only)?
- College Transcripts submitted for currently enrolled college students? College student’s transcripts must provide major.
- Proof of Acceptance from College or University submitted (for incoming freshman applicants only)?
- S.A.T. and/or ACT Scores submitted (for incoming freshman applicants only)?
- For Students 18 and older, a copy of voter registration card submitted? For students under 18, a copy of a picture ID with home address submitted?
To access the online scholarship application, please click HERE.