The Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute is pleased to announce the 2020 class of the VSI Certification Program. This program promotes, recognizes and elevates the continued individual professional development of Virginia’s sheriffs and deputies. Sheriffs and deputies serving in the Commonwealth of Virginia carry immense responsibilities as the guardians of their communities, providing effective public safety services balanced with the fair and equitable treatment of every individual they encounter.
“I offer my congratulations to the men and women who have completed this voluntary certification program,” said Sheriff James E. Brown, III, City of Charlottesville, VSIC, President, Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute. “Each member of this year’s class has demonstrated a deep personal dedication to professional development, exemplifying the professionalism and a commitment to instilling confidence in the public safety function.”
Members of the 2020 class include:
- Sheriff Joseph Baron, City of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office
- Investigator Josh Berry, Rockbridge County Sheriff’s Office
- First Lieutenant David Hill, Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office
- Chief Deputy David Kidwell, Arlington County Sheriff’s Office
- Colonel Michael O’Toole, City of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office
- Detective Austin Schwartz, Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office
- Chief Deputy Jeffery Searfoss, Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office
- Lieutenant Lois Thompson, City of Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office
- Detective Sergeant Lawrence Vermeer, Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office
- Captain Thomas West, York County-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office
The VSI Certification Program was developed by the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI) in cooperation with the Virginia Sheriffs’ Association (VSA), the Performance Management Group at the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and the Virginia Center for Policing Innovation (VCPI).
VSI will recognize and present participants of this 2020 class a certificate of completion at its spring conference in April.
For more information, please visit http://certification.vasheriffsinstitute.org/.