Who We Are
We work to educate the public and promote law enforcement
The Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI), Inc. is a 501(c)3 organization that encourages charitable and educational activities among the sheriffs and deputies within the Commonwealth of Virginia to educate the public and to do any and all things to promote the enforcement of law and order and the suppression of crime. VSI sponsors numerous programs including:
- A spring and fall educational conference for sheriffs and deputies
- A newly elected sheriffs’ school
- Lawful employment training for sheriffs
- Virginia State Police Association Emergency Relief Fund
- Virginia Coalition for the Prevention of Elder Abuse, Inc.
- Concerns of Police Survivors, Inc. (COPS)
- The Virginia Network for Victims and Witnesses of Crime, Inc.
- The National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund to honor Virginia officers killed in the line of duty.
- Scholarships to Virginia students who major in criminal justice at a Virginia college or university
- Certification Program to recognize the continued individual professional development of Virginia sheriffs and deputies
- Provide support to families of deputies or sheriffs killed in the line of duty, in an effort to relieve personal and community distress relating to such incidents
The Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute is registered with the Virginia Division of Consumer Affairs, and the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute meets all twenty standards of charity accountability of the Better Business Bureau.