The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office gives a few helpful tips regarding package theft, and how to avoid it. With the holidays coming up, package thefts are more likely. Protect your packages! Additionally, the sheriff’s office would like to remind people of the 2021 law which will make it illegal to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving a moving motor vehicle in Virginia. Be safe, and put your phone down while driving.
Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Gives Tips to Stop Home Package Theft
Online shopping has seen a steady increase over the past few years, and is expected to increase heavily over the next two months around the holidays. It is estimated that 8 in 10 adults are regular online shoppers. Unfortunately, statistics show that nearly 4 in 10 people have fallen victim to package theft.
Here are some pro-active tips to help protect your deliveries:
- Get to know your delivery people to let them know your package preferences. They may be able to help by delivering to a more secure area around your home rather than high visibility areas.
- Track your packages for status updates; Prepare to bring your items into the home ASAP.
- Network with trusted neighbors – teaming up with neighbors can be a smart way to keep your deliveries and neighborhood secure.
- Deliver to your workplace (if allowed) or another address where someone will be available to receive it.
- Install security cameras or smart doorbell – most are motion detecting and will alert you to your smartphone when movement is found. Many will record and play back video, and have two way communication so you can see, hear, and respond to what’s going on.
Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Promotes “Phone Down, It’s the Law”
80% of all crashes and 65% of all near crashes involve driver inattention within 3 seconds of the crash.
Texting while driving increases your crash risk by 2300% because it involves all THREE kinds of distraction – manual, visual, and cognitive.
Effective January 1st, 2021, it will be illegal to hold a handheld personal communications device while driving a moving motor vehicle on the highways in Virginia.
Get ready now by putting your phone away while operating a motor vehicle. Stay Safe!