2018-19 Scholarship Program Policies
A. Students must be a permanent resident in a Virginia county or city where their sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI) and has authorized the VSI to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program.
B. Students, 18 and older, must be registered Virginia voters and provide a copy of their voter registration card. Students under the age of 18 are required to provide a copy of a picture ID with their home address, providing proof of residency.
- Applications will be mailed from the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute office to the sheriffs’ offices by January 31, 2018. Applications can also be found on the VSI website.
- Applications must be received in the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute office by May 1, 2018. Postmarks will not be accepted; however, faxes will be. The deadline will be adhered to.
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students accepted to Virginia colleges and universities will be considered.
- Applications must be complete and signed, or the student will not be considered.
- Certificates of award will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2018.
- Under verification by the students of chosen college/major, checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application. College or university student IDs will be required to issue a scholarship check.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.