2019-20 Scholarship Program Policies
To access the online 2019-20 Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute scholarship application, please click HERE.
A. Students must be a permanent resident in a Virginia county or city where their sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute (VSI) and has authorized the VSI to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program.
B. Students, 18 and older, must be registered Virginia voters and provide a copy of their voter registration card. Students under the age of 18 are required to provide a copy of a government issued picture ID with their home address, providing proof of residency.
- Applications will be available on the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute website by January 31, 2019.
- Applications must be submitted online with all required documents and information by May 1, 2019. The deadline will be strictly adhered to.
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students attending Virginia colleges and universities for the 2019-20 school year will be considered.
- Applications must be completed online and electronically signed, or the student will not be considered.
- Certificates of award will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2019.
- After verification by the students of chosen college/major, checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application. College or university student IDs will be required to issue a scholarship check.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.